Monday 28 May 2012

What's in Season: May Fruits

Cherries?

   Before May ends I wanted to post about the fruit that is ripe and in season this month!  Fruit always pleases a crowd at our house.  I want to enjoy fruit when its ripe, ready and true to taste as this book points out.  Food is a straight shooter to my heart and what better way to celebrate it than with the seasons.

I would like to make sure my kids get the most out of what they eat so learning what's in season is like keeping with my grandmother's tradition of sprinkling our plates with love (she always said that was her most important ingredient). 

Here's fruits that are in season during the month of May (and the vegetables too!).  Again these lists are relative to up here in Toronto and would be appropriate for most of the United States.

Fruits for May

cherries
pineapples
apricots


Cherries rarely ever make it past fresh from the stem for me.  I don't eat many of apricots but might pick up a few next time we are at the market (I tend to only pick them up if they are dried because they are so handy in a trail mix)  Do you have a favorite fruit? (Colum loves pineapple ;)


xo 

ps. I have rhubarb in the oven and it smells beautiful! I can't wait to share the recipe with you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin it